If you have been experiencing energy inefficiency in your HVAC system, you may have a problem with air balancing. It is important to have this corrected as soon as possible to avoid outrageous utility bills. Air balancing problems may also be the reason for uneven heating and cooling as well as a decrease in comfort. Read on to find out more about air balancing.
68 Degrees HVAC is committed to providing professional and reliable testing, adjusting and balancing (TAB) services for existing and new
HVAC systems in commercial, institutional, and industrial facilities.
What is Air Balancing?
Air balancing is exactly what it sounds like: balancing the flow of air throughout a building. While the explanation is simple, achieving proper air balance in your facility is more complex. Air balancing is important for your HVAC system to work efficiently. For this to be possible, it is important that the ductwork is in good condition and that the proper duct size and routing is in place.
If you suspect a problem with your system’s air balancing, you should contact us to schedule an inspection. We will evaluate the ducts to check for any leaks and disconnections as well as perform some diagnostic checks, including the following:
- Taking static pressure readings on the supply and return sides
- Check heat gains and losses as well as humidity and temperature
- Measure the conditioned air output at the supply registers
How to Restore Proper Air Balancing
After a comprehensive inspection by our technician, they will perform a complete analysis of your system’s air balancing status. We’ll then make recommendations of what to do to correct any issues. Some of the common issues we correct:
- Repairing any leaking ducts and sealing and insulating them
- Adding more return ducts in certain places
- Installing ductwork dampers
- Changing the blower fan speed
- Making necessary changes to the settings if the system has an added air filtration system
Once we have made all the necessary revisions, we perform follow-up testing to ensure that everything is in order.